Hannah Overman Koch

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kindness Chronicles




As we drove past her large, older vehicle, she was nervously talking on her cell phone.  It wouldn't start and she was in the middle of a busy four lane.  Cars were quickly seeing she was stalled and moving around her.  My husband and I weren't sure what to do, but immediately we felt we needed to do something.  We pulled into the closest parking lot to assess the situation, and how he could help her in this potentially dangerous scene.
At one point, she got out and walked to the back of her vehicle for some reason.  My husband, not sure what she was doing, decided at that point to walk through the traffic to try to help her.  He was going to try to push her large SUV over one lane, maybe making it to the side of the road.  When she got into her vehicle to steer, she forgot to put it in neutral.  My husband was going to tell her to change gears.  That was when something awesome happened.  As she was trying to put the vehicle in neutral, for some reason, it started.  Once he and her realized this, he simply told her to go.  She said a quick thank you and off she went.


Would the vehicle have started if she didn't have to put it in neutral?

As he was standing in the back of the vehicle, another vehicle was directly behind him almost the whole time.  Was that vehicle there for his "protection"?  I always look for the Divine in these situations!

**Please note, this was circumstances a mother with her children in the car should not try to tackle.  If it was only me driving with my kids, I would not have done this.  I would have said a prayer for her protection and also prayed for someone who was strong enough to push her out of harm's way.  I felt so compelled to share this because my husband was willing to get out there and push, and the unthinkable happened.  Look for things like that in your random acts, it is the coolest!

Other recent random acts of kindness:

1.  Bought a box of cookies for a friend from their favorite store.
2.  Made a few small lofts of banana bread and gave one to a friend.
3.  Had a friend invite me and pay for my ticket to an event.  (Thanks A.!)
4.  Had a friend call to ride with me to an event and in return she made us a fabulous homemade lunch! (Thanks K.!)
5.  My sister called on a whelm to meet her at a halfway point for lunch.  (Thanks sis!)




Random acts of kindness, in my opinion, are reciprocal!  You are helping someone in need and the warm fuzzy feeling you get for helping is so rewarding.  My friend, Lyric Kinard, along with Jane Fafazio have started the Kindness Chronicles.  Anyone can join!  Simply share your random acts of kindness the first Sunday of every month.  We are sharing not to boast, but to help inspire others with our various ideas!  Click their names to get more details.





sharing the Kindness Chronicles on this artist holiday,
hannah









1 comment: