Hannah Overman Koch

Friday, January 24, 2014

Studio Exploration: Tessellations



Tessellations 

I am working in my studio on tessellations.
This exploration is a project for my art education class at East Carolina University;
Art 3851 with Dr. Quinn
Spring 2014

Dr. Quinn provided the tessellation lesson plan and I get the pleasure of exploring this creative problem!

What will be my aesthetic solution?

Materials:
3x3 inch squares -card stock paper
12x12 inch paper
colored pencils
scissors
tape
pencil

Here are 3 types of tessellations I worked through-

Translation

I drew one continuous line on the card stock paper.

Cut the paper on the drawn line.
(Sharp points are challenging to cut!)

Then slide the cut section and tape it together.

Trace the shape onto the 12x12 inch paper.


Rotation

I drew one continuous line on the card stock paper.

Cut the paper on the drawn line and rotate the cut section 180 degrees.
Tape the 2 pieces together.

Trace the shapes onto the 12x12 inch paper.



Glide Reflection

I drew one continuous line on the card stock paper.

Cut the paper on the drawn line.

Then slide the cut section and flip it 180 degrees.

Trace the shape onto the 12x12 inch paper.


Then I had to make the decision which one to choose....


I decided to do the glide reflection to continue the exploration!

I began filling the paper with smaller shapes and designs.
I was required to add geometric and biomorphic shapes.


With each line I drew, I tried to continue the pattern throughout the paper.

Once all my shapes were added in pencil, I drew over them with a black pen.

The completed 12x12 inch paper with black outline.

I erased the pencil marks to clean it up.


Now it is time to add some color!

Using colored pencils.

Any ideas on my biomorphic shapes?


Detail of Glide Reflection


Fish in Boats
Finished Tessellation

This exploration was fun and challenging to think in terms of line transformation.  
I found that what I thought it would look like, really didn't look like that at all!


Check this link for more information on tessellations:


M.C.Escher's work with tessellations is inspiring and a great website resource:




exploring my creativity and doing homework (that I love) at the same time on this artist holiday,
hannah



1 comment:

  1. what a great exercise. Loving being able to peek at your work. Thanks for sharing. on my way to your links now!

    ReplyDelete