Hannah Overman Koch

Friday, February 7, 2014

Studio Exploration - Uglies



A ceramic study in handbuilding
for my class
ART 3851
with
Dr. Quinn

As the student, I am to create a three-dimensional form out of clay after reading the book by Maurice Sendak "Where the Wild Things Are".  The clay form must begin as a pinch pot and then turned on its side.  The form must have some details such as; eyes, teeth, ears, horns, hair, feet and nails.

Here we go...


Start with a mound of clay.  Don't forget to wedge!

Wedged and ready to become a pinch pot first.

Press thumbs in the center.

Continue pressing and pushing the clay to create a pinch pot.

I was trying to create even sides all around the pot with my fingers.


Hands are always the best tools!

Once I was happy with the pinch pot, I wanted to add some details before I turned it on its side.

I scalloped the edges and then added some grooves.

I am totally digging this project!

Now it is time to squeeze the sides and add more detail on the outside.



Once I had this form I immediately began to see a shell and added the pearl.

Eyes were next.  This is the back view of the vessel.

Now what?

Hornish ears!  These attach to the eyes and the top of the "Ugly".

I enjoy adding texture into the clay to have some depth when glazing.

Feet with toenails are added next.


Score and Slip method was used to add the small vessel features.

I couldn't forget about the teeth!

This is greatly textured, as well to hopefuly hold some awesome glaze!

Funky and Ugly!

At the last minute I felt it needed a small nose.

Ugly created and will be drying for the first firing.

Check back in the coming weeks for the next process.




pushing my creative self-expression with a versatile media on this artist holiday,
hannah

2 comments:

  1. I'm enchanted with the peal, nice touch. Can't wait to see it painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's i'm enchanted with the pearl...

    ReplyDelete