Hannah Overman Koch

Friday, March 11, 2011

Pollock, Mondrian and little me

     To say Jackson Pollock (1912-1956) and Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) are vastly different in their artistic approaches is most certainly an understatement.  Pollock, threw paint with his chaotic motions on the canvas, while Mondrian had such structure and order on his canvases.  Though they seem vastly different on the surface (pun intended), they are both considered part of the abstract art movement and both came to achieve non-objectivity in their respective works.  To those who are not familiar, being non-objective refers to a work of art not having a recognizable subject matter.   
     Mondrian, first caught my eye during a high school art trip to New York.  It was fascinating, at that time, for this country mouse to see the big city and to see his artwork was most influential on my own.  It captivated everything I did in my art class the rest of my high school career.  Every now and then I find myself drifting back to his works and all he created.  We are all familiar with his geometric paintings of mostly primary colors, black, white and gray.  I am mesmerized at how straight his lines were and have made several attempts over the years to duplicate.  Quite a challenge, even with tape!
     I go through all this to share my combination of their two styles during this month's sketchbook challenge- Spilling Over 


More specifically, Pollock spilling over Mondrian


When attempting Pollock's style, I had paint everywhere; my face, my arms, probably my hair!  It was great!!


Closeup of the primary colors Mondrian used quite often in his later work.

Pollock did countless drip techniques on his canvases.  After all, his work varied around 8 feet!  I couldn't bring myself to totally cover up my Mondrian work underneath.







So, do you want to see my sketchbook page before Pollock spilled over it?  Check it out below....








Materials used; Canson mixed media sketchbook, acrylic paint and a black colored pencil!



References I used:  http://www.artlex.com/  (online art dictionary);
                             Modern Art written by Sam Hunter,
                             John Jacobus and Daniel Wheeler  (college art book);
                             Mondrian written by Benedikt Taschen
                            (book I got when I went on the New York high school art trip) 



            Sharing some of my favorite art history on this artist holiday-
hannah

1 comment:

  1. good ideas here and origami. would have loved to have seen a pic of you covered in paint!
    hope to start my spilling over sketch today. think I may have picked something a bit to ambitious.
    waiting for a phone call from my husband, if he is coming home today he has an 11 hour drive. still in my pj's, waiting for a paper I just washed with ink to dry. I am about to stamp my first linoleum block I carved last night.
    I have to scramble to get housework done and do some cooking. lucky for me my husband is easy going, he is use to paint brushes in the kitchen sink, baskets of hand sewing projects around the sofa and the kitchen bar covered in paint and glue that won't scrub off.
    how is the fabric dyeing going?
    jill

    ReplyDelete