Hannah Overman Koch

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Clay Work-Out




Clay Extruder Work-Out Fun!!

This is the clay extruder in the clay studio at the
Smithfield Recreation and Aquatic Center!

Since I have been coming in the studio I have seen it and
wondered about it, but never really played around with it.

That is until I met my new friend, Marsha!!
She is wonderful, SO knowledgable and even provided the studio
with more templates to use!!

It was under Marsha's guidance that I learned how to operate this
amazing device to get really fantastic shapes ready for my creative touches.

Thanks Marsha!!

Here is the template, nuts and bolts ready to be put together...


This is what it looks like put together and ready for the extruder!

Also, I have wedged and prepared my clay and inserted it at the top of the extruder.

Once I press on the lever really hard....
(this is the work out part)

Clay begins to be pressed through the template!!
This photo was taken underneath the extruder.

Here's the clay coming out further as I continue to press on the handle.

After pressing all I could to get as much clay out as possible...
this is what I created!!!


I was so excited and my mind's wheels were turning 
to figure out what I could make with
this wonderfully shaped piece of clay.

I cut apart the coil into smaller pieces and...

I made short pieces...


I made tall pieces




I added lots of texture!

And lots more texture...


I also drew into the clay!

Maybe a unique flower vase...


I sculpted the edges, using my clay tools in new ways!
This was the piece with the curve in it and I did not want to lose that.
So I flattened the bottom edge to give it a unique foot-like shape.



A work out in the beginning and a delicate touch in the end.



Thank you to the Smithfield Recreation Center for such a wonderful studio
and my friend Marsha!




Seeing more and more possibilities with clay 
incorporating the clay extruder on this artist holiday,
hannah




No comments:

Post a Comment